Frequently Asked Questions
I have noticed a mistake, how can I let you know about it?
Check this list of FAQs to see if the mistake is addressed (or if you are mistaken in thinking it's a mistake). My contact details are at the bottom, but I would really appreciate if you could check first to ensure it's worth contacting me about.
Why does this website look like something from the early 90's?
Because I just wanted to throw up some things I made, and wasn't too worried about the aesthetics. I might work on that, if it seems interesting to me.
Why is the Starmap so poorly optimised for modern devices?
It was very much a function over form approach. I just wanted something that would work for me, so I could see the map evolve over time. I then decided it might be fun to put it up somewhere.
Can I help you make the map work better or look better?
Sure, if you want to help improve it through suggesting changes to the code, do get in touch. If you just want to point out features that would be nice to have, then this isn't really helpful: I know it's janky, it's just a matter of how much time I want to invest into it. So yes, I will gladly accept contributions of time and skill, but contributions of ideas isn't so useful unless they are only minor changes.
Is this map accurate?
It's as accurate as I can make it with current information and the time I have put into it so far. Known areas of innaccuracy include:
- Some System Discovery Dates: We don't know when every system was discovered. I have chosen to show these as being discovered as soon as their nearest neighbours have been discovered.
- Most Jump Point Discovery Dates: We don't know when most jumps were discovered. I have chosen to show this as all jumps between known systems being discovered immediately, where there isn't better information..
- We don't know all of the Recognised worlds. What's shown on the map is all the worlds that have been said to have a Senator, or have attained Representation.
- Most System Recognition Dates: We don't know when most systems gained Senate recognition. This is therefore shown as being 100 years after discovery, in the absence of better information
- Claims happen immediately: A lot of systems were discovered and then only claimed and named a few years later. I've chosen to keep it simple (in the absence of better information) and show systems that would be rapidly claimed as starting out claimed. I might change that later.
- Some small date guessing: Some dates are just given as 'a few years later', so I just guessed them as 3-5 years.
This is a list of things that might seem odd at first, but are actually just little bits of trivia.
- Caliban-Nul is meant to be a small Jump Point, but its shown as large! - It's shown as large until 2618 because it was Large. It collapsed and reformed as a small Jump Point over the next few years.
- The Nexus System was discovered in 2445 but is missing from the map! - Nexus had two other names before 'Nexus': UDS-2445-3-05 and Hathor. Those names are accurately reflected on the map.
- Shouldn't Pyro and Cathcart be shown as UNE/UPE/UEE prior to being abandoned? - An interesting and debateable point. Neither was officially claimed, and lots of the unclaimed systems likewise have small human populations who struck out ahead of the UEE in the hopes that the government would later come along and adopt the system. The Navy also operates in unclaimed systems. So I don't really see the difference that would qualify them for the blue colour. This is however a choice, and not an absolute representation of a fact.
Are you still adding to this?
As I write this on 8th July 2021, yes. I am still correcting the underlying data, improving the functionality of the viewer, and adding some other features. I would like, for example, to have a panel of forward and back buttons that take you through historical events.
What's with the ugly layout?
To keep things simple, I wanted to use straight lines for Jump Points. Nice layouts usually require kinked or curved lines. This layout represents a force-directed Fruchterman–Reingold layout, with a bit of manual tweaking for clarity.
Okay, I read the above points and still have a reference-supported correction to suggest, or I want to help you make this work better
Great! Thanks for your contribution. You can find me on twitter at @jale_xel_jela - on spectrum at @jale-xel-jela or on the r/starcitizen and SCLeaks discord - just look for Jale.